Saturday, December 27, 2014

Oct 2 McLeod Ganj, Dali Lama Temple

Dali Lama

I inquired again about an audience with the Dalhi Lama and told I could see him the next day for the public ceremony.
I returned to the temple an hour before the 9 am ceremony and sat on the floor close to the stage to try and get a good view of HH. The temple was full of people from all over the world. There were many Tibetan monks and nuns. I've never seen so many people in a public place so quiet and serene. This event was in honor of Mahatma Gandhi's birthday. The speakers included Dr. Lobsang Sangay, Prime Minister of the exiled Tibetan government, Penpa Tsering, head of Parliament, women right's activist Judy Williamson of Brattleboro, VT, Shirin Ebadi, lawyer, judge, and founder of the Defenders of Human Rights Center in Iran, and the Dali Lama, who spoke without notes in Tibetan. He mentioned Gandhi several times as well as Martin Luther King, Desmond Tutu, and Nelson Mandala. He's charismatic, looked at everyone all around him and used a blend of laughter and seriousness.


Crowd gathered under the big tent at the Dali Lama Temple
Happy Birthhy sign at the Serkong House

Later in the day I got a close look at the Dali Lama when his motorcade returned to the temple after visiting students at Karmapa. We exchanged waves.
Sign on a door near the Dali Lama Temple

While walking back to my hotel from the temple I saw many women working on construction projects carrying mortar on their heads. I could not help think how backward the work practice is here. 
women carrying mortar
Brother Sanga

Around 6 pm I had tea at the Serkong House with Brother Sanga, a Tibetan monk from the Dali Lama's Temple, aide and close friend of the Dali Lama. We had a great discussion on Buddhism, and the Tibetan chant Om Mani Padne Hum. He was a great teacher, and very kind and generous with his time. I wish I had spent even more time with him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment