Friday, December 19, 2014

Oct 13 Jaipur, Rajasthan

Lunch for $6

I rode four hours northeast from Pushkar to Jaipur, a city of three million people, founded in 1727. Along the way I stopped at a roadside restaurant for delicious lunch of chicken and fries for just $6.
Tandoori chicken, fries, and coke- delicious!

Elephant farm

I checked into Hotel Rajputana Haveli late afternoon. Jaipur is called the Pink City for its pink houses. The Best Marigold Hotel movie was filmed here. The main attraction in Jaipur is the Amber Palace built by Raja Man Sing in 1592. It sits high on a hill - it's color is amber, and it's huge.I then went outside of town to see the elephant farm, where about 50 elephants live in virtual luxury.
Up close and personal with my new elephant friends 
Me and the elephants




Next I stopped at a textile store to buy pashmina scarves for Kathy. The colors were amazing. The store sales people seemed at first to be very gracious and offered tea. But once I bought something they persisted in trying to sell me more item. They were relentless. I also learned that it's best to bargain as the first price is not necessarily the final price. 

Colorful scarves

No comments:

Post a Comment