Friday, December 19, 2014

Oct 12 Pushkar

Anop

We drove 6-hours east from Jodhpur to Pushkar, stopping along the way for lunch. You guessed it; nan bread, chicken curry (gravy) fried rice, and coke for $10. I invited my driver, Vipan, to join me for lunch, but he seemed compelled to eat with the other drivers. After lunch I met Anop, a young man from southern India, who was traveling thousands of km's by motorcycle. He said, "I like traveling alone, because I don't have to care for anyone, but I also like meeting people along the way, it makes me happy." This was just what I was thinking.



Pushkar, a town of 25,000 people is one of the oldest cities in India. I arrived at the Deer Park Hotel where I met a new guide Nandu, a Brahmin. He took me by motorcycle into the town where we visited the Brahma Temple, built in the 14th century, dedicated to Lord Brahma. It is perhaps equivalent to St. Peters in Rome, but smaller. Thousands of people were worshiping there in the middle of the day. 

  i
My guide Nandu outside the Brahma Temple

Hindu Temple & Pushkar Lake

I had interesting conversations with Nandu over chi tea at a small cafe about Indian culture and religion. He said Hinduism in India is more a way of life in than a religion. He also told me that Indians are respectful of all religions. Pushkar is considered a holy city and no alcohol, meat or dairy products are allowed. I visited the famous Hindu temple, dedicated to Lord Brahma. 
Brahma temple
Main ghat at Pushkar Lake
Pushkar Lake

Nandu led a short prayer for happiness and well being for me and my family, and painted my forehead with Kumkum. I gave a donation of 200 rupees which was said to 'generate good karma.' But in reality I think I was ripped off.
Me at the main ghat with a kumkum


Crematorium outside Pushkar
A common sight all over India
Elderly women sitting at her front door
Happy musician at Pushkar Lake
I saw many men practicing asceticism in every place I visited. 


Ascetic
The Asian squat is the custom in India. It originated in India and spread to China as a way to eat rice, rest and defecate. I tried squatting but couldn't. I was told Americans have tighter calf muscles than Asians. 


Asian squat

In the afternoon I returned to my hotel where I had a one hour massage to relieve the pain in my tight IT band for just $20. It worked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment