Thursday, December 18, 2014

Oct 14 Jaipur, Agra

City Palace

While leaving Jaipur in the early morning I drove by City Palace, located in the center of the city, and built in 1732, by King Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh who ruled from 1699 to 1744. 



Inside the city gate I saw a man selling leguns.



Brick Kilns

Then I had a five hour drive west to Agra on the best road I had traveled since being in India. On the way I saw hundreds of 200 ft. tall pyramid shaped kilns which were used for making bricks to build homes.


Along the road I saw men and women working in the fields, mostly women all wearing bright colors. Much of the farm work is done by hand, not modern machinery as in America. The Indus Valley is a major agricultural area in India. Only 18% of India's GDP comes from agriculture, yet for 72% of people living in rural India it's a way of life, and 84% of women depend on agricultural work.


No comments:

Post a Comment